SOMI Fishing and Treasure Hunting Maps

General Discussion
Preechr
Site Admin
in Game Handle: @preechr#2215

SOMI Fishing and Treasure Hunting Maps

Post by Preechr » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:19 pm

I'm including two types of maps here because there's a lot of information to cram in, and you can pick which maps work best for you
The first is from ddmsrealm, and it's got everything all on in one picture... neeedless to say, it's a little busy, but its the one I use because I can leave it up on my second screen and I don't have to keep switching between the game and the map to get new information...
ddmsrealm-neverwinter-master-treasure-map.jpg
Neverwinter:Unblogged puts the same basic info on multiple images, which may make it easier to process:
Fishing Map:
SoMI-Maps-3.jpg
Treasure Map Images:
SoMI-Maps-1.png
Treasure Map Locations:
SoMI-Maps-2.jpg
You get maps in SOMI from fishing, specifically when you pull up a "Map in a Bottle"
You will know when you get one because instead of Q, E or R lighting up to tell you which one to hold down to reel in, they all light up and you can simply pull up until you can hit 1 to "land" the catch
It is advisable to gather up a bunch of Bottles and then set aside some time to hunt for treasure
Unlike River District or Chult, you can only have one SOMI map in your inventory at a time, so you will have to open a bottle, look up the map and travel there, grab the treasure box, and then open another bottle, rinse, repeat...
Yes, this means you will inevitably be going right back to the other side of the map to the same location you just left, sometimes repeatedly... This is because SOMI has many features designed by jerks that hate us
The treasure chests you get from looting will stack, and you may want to wait to open them until you are done, as they usually contain many different kinds of fish and refining stones that will quickly fill your inventory
That being said, you can also get an epic Fishing Rod or Khyek from these boxes, which is pretty sweet
Reports say the Epic Khyek only comes from one Treasure Map location, and it's the one that looks like this:
epickhyekmap.jpg
Note: there's no guarantee you will get the Dragonbone Khyek when you get the correct map, but good luck!

Preechr
Site Admin
in Game Handle: @preechr#2215

Re: SOMI Fishing and Treasure Hunting Maps

Post by Preechr » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:42 pm

On the second map you may have noticed notes on the locations of a few "special" fish and where they can be caught
These Tier IV fish can be gutted for special refining ingredients, and some people only want to catch these and the Maps in Bottles, preferring to not waste expensive bait on anything other than these two things
If that sounds like you, focus on the fishing areas that contain these fish (noted on the second map) and watch your action bar when you get a nibble
Before you hook (right click) the catch, look at the left side of the bar and you will see a clue as to what you have on the line
If it says IV you have a tier IV fish, or if it says 0 you have a Map in a Bottle... set the hook and reel it in
If you have something else and you don't want it, just move your boat a bit and it will go away
Reeling in ALL the fish is advisable if you would like to be gaining Elk Tribe Support, which is needed for one of the lockboxes in MSVA, so the decision is up to you and what you need to be getting out of fishing

In my own experience, I've bought about 200 Lugworm baits for gold and when I get a Map I stop what I'm doing and go dig up the treasure
Most of the time, the treasure box will contain at least some Krill, which is a better bait that will give you a higher chance at better catches
I'll fish using the krill until I run out or catch another Map in a Bottle
The Bottles can also be purchased and traded if you want to stock up a bit, as well

Note on Map Locations:

These are a fair bit more difficult to locate than the Treasure locations in RD or Chult... When you open up your map, you will see coordinates in the lower left border, but you won't generally find the dig spot there... Look up and down, as you will likely have to climb or go underground to find the proper location, and there are a couple locations that are basically on top of one another
There's even one place you will nearly kill yourself getting to and likely die getting out of, as it's on a ledge jutting out of a sheer cliff face, high above the water... all part of the fun :D

Don't give up... It's not too terribly hard if you are persistent!